Monday, March 29, 2010

Discovering the past

Last week, I was photographing, and getting the photos of each of the Winchester High School class photo groupings; ready to post on our library website, when I came to this photo. This is the class of 1898. For some reason, despite their somber appearance (probably due to the photographic technique of the time), they do seem hopeful (although the background is a bit weird, and seems a bit funereal to me).
I wonder how these kid's lives turned out. Did they all live to old age? Did they have tragedies in their lives, were they basically happy?
Amazing how times, styles, trends, and technology changes. Would these folks ever have imagined that a 34 year old mom of 3, wearing blue jeans and shoes made from recycled tires, would post their picture on something as complex as the internet?
Wow, what 112 years will do.

1 comment:

  1. Just discovered your site Amy and am loving it! I can so relate to your comments here and find I ruminate over old photos in much the same way. This one almost looks like something from the Addams Family Photo Album!! The photos are so stiff because they couldn't move or they would blur and as a result we get this idea that life was stiff and hard for them. I rather doubt it was, but I do beleive we do have more fun - even if it is a more complicated and busy life!

    ReplyDelete